Solar Decathlon 2013, West Virginia University
This year’s Solar Decathlon 2013 competition will take place Oct. 3–13, 2013, at Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California. Open to the public and free of charge, the Solar Decathlon gives visitors the opportunity to tour the houses, gather ideas to use in their own homes, and learn how energy-saving features can help them save money today. The following is from the Solar Decathlon 2013 website: solardecathlon.gov. By Amber Archangel
For the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2013, West Virginia University will create a self-sufficient house for a self-sufficient family—a reflection of Appalachia culture and history. The house will tie in elements of its natural surroundings while functioning with the demands of modern society. It will integrate innovative technologies and passive design techniques to maximize energy efficiency and support sustainable design practices and approaches.
A computer-generated rendering of the Solar Decathlon 2013 concept of West Virginia University | Courtesy of the West Virginia University Solar Decathlon team
A computer-animated walkthrough of the Solar Decathlon 2013 house of West Virginia University
The team will bring the outdoors in and the indoors out via user spaces on the exterior. Various elements will be linked through the use of wood and natural materials throughout. The house interior will be compatible with multiple users in all aspects of their lives, no matter their age or abilities. Through its rustic, wholesome design, the team hopes to inspire individuals to get back to the roots of American pioneers.
Good luck to the 2013 Solar Decathlon West Virginia University team.
See our articles on the Solar Decathlon 2013:
- More About the Solar Decathlon 2013
- Location for the Solar Decathlon 2013
- Student Teams Participating in the Solar Decathlon 2013
- 2013 Solar Decathlon Arrives In Orange County
- Solar Decathlon 2013, Team Sci-Arc/Caltech (VIDEO)
- Solar Decathlon 2013, Czech Republic (VIDEO)
- Solar Decathlon 2013, University of Nevada Las Vegas (VIDEO)
- Solar Decathlon 2013, Santa Clara University (VIDEO)
- Solar Decathlon 2013, AZ State/New Mexico (VIDEO)